“Babe!” Faith says to Chris. “It’s going to be a week tomorrow! How many more days are you going to skip National Service (NS)? And are you even allowed to?”
“I want to spend more time with you,” Chris replies. “Also, I missed a month of fucking you.”
“Shut up,” Faith says, giggling.

“Give me a moment, babe.” Chris looks at the screen and recognises his workplace’s phone number. He ignores the call and turns his attention back to Faith.
“Anyway, as I was—” Chris pauses when his phone alerts him to an incoming message.

Chris hears his phone ring.


The message reads:
Christopher Hamilton, you are to report to Pines Fire Station by 1800 hours on 11 February 2008. You have been charged with being Absent Without Official Leave from 6 February 2008 to 10 February 2008 and will be dealt with accordingly. Do not ignore this message. If you are unable to provide a valid reason for your absence, there will be serious consequences.

Serious consequences, huh? Well, not today. I’ll just head back to work tomorrow.

“Babe, are you alright?” Faith asks, concerned. “Why are you staring at the message for so long?”

From where Faith is sitting, she can’t read the message, but she knows it isn’t long enough for Chris to be staring at his phone for more than a minute.


“Nothing, babe.” Chris adjusts himself and sits up. “My colleague was updating me about work. I was just thinking about how to reply to him.”
“Oh.” Faith pulls Chris’s arm around her. “Speaking of work, when are you going back?”
“Probably tomorrow,” Chris replies, then purses his lips. “I need to tell you something.”

Chris looks at Faith.

In that moment, her face is a canvas of worry, her eyes wide and her lower lip beginning to quiver.

“This whole week wasn’t actually my leave,” Chris admits, pausing as he holds Faith’s hand. “I’m serving my last few months of National Service. There isn’t any leave other than medical leave. I might be charged tomorrow.”


“What do you mean by that?” Faith’s face falls.
“I don’t know what they’ll decide,” Chris says. “Don’t worry. You’ll be the first to know if anything happens. Alright, babe?”

Faith looks at the clock.
“It’s almost six,” she tells Chris. “I’ve got to catch the bus soon. Please tell me what happens tomorrow. I’ll be in school, but try your very best to contact me before anything happens.”
“I will, babe.” Chris gives Faith a hopeful smile.


The Next Day
The bus ride to school feels quieter and longer than usual. Faith keeps looking down at her phone.
There are no calls. No texts from Chris.

I know he’ll tell me if anything happens. I know he will.


Just before she reaches class, her phone rings.

Chris.

Faith answers immediately.
“Chris?” Her voice is filled with worry.
“Hey, babe. I’m alright,” Chris says. “I’ll be texting you from now on, okay? I’m heading into HQ now.”
“I love you,” Faith says.
“I love you too,” Chris replies before hanging up.

Faith lowers the phone and stares at the screen.

I really hope you won’t get a heavy sentence, Chris.


During Mathematics class, Faith’s worry grows.
There are still no calls or texts from him.

He said he would text me.

Faith raises her hand and asks to be excused to go to the bathroom. Nina looks at her, raising an eyebrow suspiciously. Faith quickly leaves the classroom.


Please, please, please pick up.

She paces back and forth in the bathroom. Chris’s phone is still ringing when she calls, but he doesn’t answer.

“What’s happening?” Nina asks, appearing at the bathroom entrance. “Are you okay?”

Before Faith can answer, her phone beeps.


A message.

She opens it immediately.
Take care of yourself, my love. I will miss you. I’ve been sentenced to 40 days in Detention Barracks. I love you, Faith.

Her heart drops. Faith immediately tries calling him. This time, his phone goes straight to voicemail.
“No…”
She calls again. Voicemail. Her eyes fill with tears.

Nina goes straight to her, wrapping an arm around Faith without even knowing what has happened.
“I can’t,” Faith cries. “I want to go home.”

Faith manages to get permission from her Mathematics teacher to go home.
It’s still early. No one is home.
The moment she reaches her bedroom, she crawls into bed. And she doesn't stop crying.

How am I supposed to go about my day without you?


Two days after Chris was sent to Detention Barracks, it’s Valentine’s Day.

Faith has never celebrated Valentine’s Day before, but this is the first one since she and Chris got together. And suddenly, couples seem to be everywhere. Girls carrying flowers. Boys holding gifts. Couples walking together after class.

It hurts.

Worse, it’s a school day, which means Faith has to endure watching couples celebrate everywhere she turns.

I just want to go home.


“Boo!”
Faith jumps. Nina appears behind her, grinning widely.
“Happy Valentine’s Day!” Nina pulls a single rose from behind her back. “I know today sucks, but we’re each other’s Valentines whether you like it or not!”

Faith can’t help smiling.

“Thanks, Nina. You’re the best.” She takes the rose from her. “I just wish there was some way for me to communicate with him. I know it’s only 40 days, but I miss him so much.”
“Correction—37 more days!” Nina says, trying to cheer her up. “Aww, come on, Faith. We’re going shopping after this! Let your parents know you’ll be home a little late today.”


“Sorry, Nina.” Faith looks down. “Not today. I think it’ll hurt even more to go to the mall or walk past restaurants and see couples everywhere. I think I’ll just head home.”

Nina sighs but nods.

“I understand.” She holds the rose by its petals and looks at it dramatically. “I guess I have no Valentine today.”
“Nina…” Faith pleads. “Don’t make me feel worse than I already do!”
Nina bursts out laughing. “I’m kidding!”
Faith rolls her eyes, then pulls Nina into a hug.

Then she goes home.

They say it takes three days to get over the initial hurdle of starting something new. They also say it takes time for the mind to adjust to a new reality. But even after three days, Faith does the same thing every time she comes home from school.

She hugs Chris’s photograph. She rereads their text conversations.

Again.

And again.

And again.

Why did you have to be stupid and go AWOL and leave me like this?


Twenty-Seven Days Later

It’s the school holidays.
Faith is chatting with Nina on Messenger when another message appears.

Eric.

ERIC:
Is Chris coming down to play football later? I tried calling him, but I can’t get through. Since you’re online, I thought I’d ask you.

Faith frowns.

Why would Eric ask that? Chris is serving 40 days. He still has ten days left.

She has been counting. Every. Single. Day.

Faith replies.

FAITH:
He’ll only be out in 10 days, so I don’t think so.

A moment later, Eric starts typing.

ERIC:
Oh? You didn’t hear? He’s out. Rafael fetched him this morning. I wonder why he hasn’t called or texted you yet.

Faith freezes. She reads the message again.

He’s out. That doesn't make sense. He isn't supposed to be out. Not for another ten days.

Her heart begins pounding.

And if he is out—Why hasn't he called me?


Faith grabs her phone and dials Chris’s number. She presses it against her ear.

Silence.

Then—Ring. Faith's eyes widen. It rings again.

It rings?!



Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments

- Copyright © Hate That I Love You | A Sims 4 Story Inspired by True Events - Blogger Templates - Powered by Blogger - Designed by Johanes Djogan -